13 December, 2007

Embrace your inner dork! Or at least the inner logophile..

Being a fledg-linguist, and an English teacher, I LOVE words. LOVE THEM!

My kids at school are always asking "why you gotta use them big werds, Ms.E." "Because I've invested a lot of money on big words little Johny, and by god, I'm gonna use 'em! Besides this is ENGLISH. You should learn the big words too."

I stop sort of the word a day, phenom though. I am simply not disciplined enough to turn the pages and get the new word every day. Once I had a great Far Side desk calendar. I totally forgot about it, and ended up reading it all one afternoon, tearing out the pages I really liked, and throwing the whole thing away because another year had come and gone. <sigh>

Tonight, as I flopped into bed, and greeted it as I always do (Hello, bed.) I started singing one of my favorite mal-lyric-ed song.

"I'm a lay-ze fr-aw-og! "I'm a lay-ze fr-aw-og!" a play on The Sex Pistols I'm a lazy sod. I love that one. It just makes me almost giddy. The more I sung about being "a lazy frog" the more I thoguht I just had to get up and blog. SO up off the bed (bye bed, see you soon), and to the oh-so-slow computer. You know it's for real if you brave the dial up to write at 10:00 when you should be sleepin!
Words. I can't help it, I'm a double Gemini.
Sorry I digressed. Mal-lyrics...
They are the most fun.
My brother, had a friend that used to think that The Eagles song Life in the fast lane was saying "...mice in the bat plane..." Now, of course, I'm locked into listening to, and singing it thusly.

Another way I like to torture my husband... Is to sing Purple Haze like this...
dwoon, dwoon, DWANG,dwoon, (or something like this. I always phonetic-out the guitar) dwoon, DWANG,dwoon, dwoon, DWANG, DWO-DWO.
Purple haze...all in my brain. ....(I won't include all the lyrics, this is the only important part)..
'Scuse me while I kiss this guy.." dwooo-wooow-wwooooow.....
After which, I kiss my husband. It's dorky, I know it. I embrassed my inner dork years ago.

So tell me... What lyrics do you goof up, either intentionally, or unintentionally. I'd like to know. For now, I'm off to bed.


By the way...here is a great vocab test. I scored 9/10...not bad. I was looking for what someone who loves words is called......there is a clue to one of the questions on this very page....

5 comments:

James said...

"Twenty twenty twenty four hours ago...
...I wanna eat potatoes"
- is actually very practical compared to having your eight-year old walking around school singing about wanting drugs.

TRANQUILLITY BASE said...

Okay....I can only hear and sing....."Another one rides the bus" instead of Queens, "Another one bites the dust" Just can't seem to sing it any other way. Fun isn't it?

Yes...Sister Gemini...I'm a "Dork" too. Imagine that!!!

Peace and Love....Lj
(give peas a chance)

Dakini Gurl said...

Ah yes, the old Ramones classic, "I wanna eat potatoes....."

I forgot all about "Another one rides the bus!"

I just thoguht of another... I think this might be a work in progress.

.... I never meant to cause you any sorrow.......Purple brain..puu-rr-ple brain....

James said...

Purple Brain needs some explaining.
Maybe the Kool Aid Man pitches some woe?

I never meant to discolor your smile... ?

OkieRev said...

J and I love the Indigo Girls classic
"Get Out the Map" which includes the
innovative line we interpret as: "I must sit around some corn and eat my etouffe"