16 December, 2007

Birdy Buffet

We have a great bay-window in our living room, outside of which is a fantastic (huge) juniper tree. The lowest branches are about even with the top of the window, but the structure of the tree is such that the branches droop down, creating a nice overhang.
My man and I are patio-ornithologists. That means we love birds. We feed them; and watch them; we know how to identify according to beak and posture; know a fair amount of calls, and have mastered a few of those; but we aren't so nerdy that we participate in any official birding activities.....yet.
So underneath this pergola, we have hung a great deal of birdfeeders; along with windchimes and other hangy bits. It's nice.
Since the weather has turned cold, we've had quite an influx of visitors.
Most signifigantly:I was finally able to see one of my most desired birding finds...
Last weekend, we had a flock of Cedar Waxwings, that chose our junipers as a stop over to wherever this elusive species was headed next. I have wanted to see one of these for years! I remember as a child, that my parents got to see a flock while we were visiting family in Wyoming. Of course I've seen pictures, but seeing these incredibly beautiful birds in person is something all together magnificent. I was on the phone with my mom, and when I saw one, I started her with my "HOLY CRAP! It's a Cedar Waxwing!" She was as excited as I.

Just as fleetling as they arrived, they were gone. We haven't seen them since.

We also have some teeny birds we are still trying to identify. We believe they are kinglets, though we aren't quite sure if they are ruby or golden crowned. They are TINY!!! About hummingbird sized (golf ball sized for you non-birders). I'll keep you posted when we figure out which they be.
We also have both varieties of Nuthatch (a fave of my honey) Whitebreasted (to the right); and Red Breasted (left). One of the peculiarities of this species of bird is their predilection to hop down a tree beak first (note this in both images). This is not the norm for birds. Nuthatches hunt for bugs in the summer by zipping up and down the the tree trunk, flipping the proverbial bird to gravity (pun intended). But in the winter, they light on a feeder, grab a seed, fly to the trunk of a tree, wedge the seed into the bark and proceed to extract the seed from the shell. Its funny to watch.

They are very cute.

Other regulars: Titmice; Chickadees; Goldfinches; Cardinals; Robins (unusual to see Robins "eat" in trees); Mockingbirds; Carolina Wrens; Winter Wrens (I believe); and one Bluejay (so far).
But one species of visitor has affected me almost as must as the Waxwings....
I have begun to fall madly in love with the Dark eyed Junco, or "Snowbird." These are not unusual or rare species. They aren't overtly flashy, or acrobatic. But they are extraordinarily sweet to look at. A hallmark of the juncos is their light pink beak. This stands in stark contrast to their dusky head and shoulders, and their white belly and tail. They are just dang cute. They like to "just hang out" too. Some birds get neurotic and grab a seed and flee. But the Snowbirds just like to hang out, and eat slowly. Probably why their name has become synonymous with those who winter in Florida.
I cannot blog about birds without mentioning our most recent addition to the family; Willie Nelson, our new pet canary. He's so dang cute and full of personality. We received him from a teacher colleague of mine that had to get rid of him. We love him very much already.
Birding is a great past time. If you don't do it already, I highly recommend it. I birded before I edited for that famous bird journal; and who knows, we may be participating in a Christmas count in the upcoming years....




No comments: